With the Labor Day weekend around the corner, now is a good time to discuss drunk driving and compensation for the victims of drunk driving accidents.
A Snapshot of Drunk Driving in the U.S.
According to MADD and data from federal transportation regulators:
- About 2 out of every 3 people will be involved in a drunk driving accident during the course of their life (either being a victim or the drunk driver).
- Drunk drivers hurt someone on the road every two minutes and kill someone every 52 minutes.
- Daily, drunk drivers are responsible for about 28 deaths.
- Annually, drunk drivers injure about 290,000 people.
When drunk drivers cause accidents, police are typically called to the scene, which means there will be a police report for the accident. While a criminal DUI case can provide important evidence to support impairment in a civil drunk driving accident lawsuit, so too can:
- Other details included in the police report, such as a noted smell of alcohol, one driver slurring his speech or appearing unstable, etc.
- Evidence at the scene, such as open alcohol containers
- Witness statements regarding how the allegedly drunk motorist was driving prior to the collision (or regarding having seen him/her consuming alcohol, etc.).
Financial Recovery for Drunk Driving Accident Victims
Although compensation for drunk driving accident victims will vary from case to case, generally, such compensation for victims includes damages for things like (but not limited to):
- Medical bills
- Future treatment expenses
- Lost wages
- Future inability to earn a living
- Permanent impairments and impacted quality of life
- Mental suffering
- Property damage.
Contact an Experienced Denver Car Accident Attorney at the Klibaner Law Firm
Have you been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver – or by any form of negligence? If so, the Denver car accident attorney at the Klibaner Law Firm is here for you, ready to aggressively advocate your rights to help you obtain the compensation and justice you deserve.
At the Klibaner Law Firm, our goal is twofold. First, we are dedicated to helping our clients obtain fair, reasonable, and just compensation for their injuries. Second, we are focused on doing everything we can to assist them in reclaiming their lives, which have often been shattered by job loss, huge medical expenses, depression, family turmoil, and the loss of self-worth that so often accompanies serious injuries.
To learn more about your options and how we can help you, contact our firm today by calling us at (303) 863-1445 or emailing us using the contact form on this page. When you contact us:
- You will be able to discuss your case directly with one of our attorneys.
- You will pay nothing to speak to us.
- We will answer your questions thoroughly, honestly, and confidentially.
From our offices based in Denver, our attorneys provide superior representation to injured people throughout the Denver metro area and Colorado.